Welcome to a special “Independence Day” edition of the “Links” posts. This has all the usual goodies plus a large dose of independent political reading.
- Black Holes, Artifacts, and Mysteries: A Conversation with Jack McDevitt by Chris Urie.
- Supernatural Brontës by Carrie Sessarego. (The penultimate paragraph doesn’t appeal to me and this is more than just a romance novel, but it’s still an interesting article.)
- Remembering Charles Sheffield | Futures Past and Present.
- Grim, Dark, and Epic Blog Post of Epic Grimdarkness – Dean Bradley, Author and Scoundrel. Came across this in the WordPress Reader and was greatly entertained.
- SF and Nonsense: Potpourri (an astronomy edition).
- Voracious Black Holes Could Feed Alien Life on Rogue Worlds | Space.
- NASA’s TESS Mission Finds Its Tiniest Alien Planet Yet | Space.
- Made in space: Why Earth’s industries might one day leave our planet | Astronomy.com.
This should make all Americans uncomfortable (to say the least):
- All of the Mueller report’s major findings in less than 30 minutes. (At the end, the reporters encourage you to read the redacted but otherwise complete report.)
These are some articles which may make the Right uncomfortable (even though one comes from the Right).
These may make the Left uncomfortable (even though one comes from the Left).
- The 2020 Democratic Party Goes Full McGovern | The American Conservative.
- Charlie Sykes : Democrats say they want to beat Trump in 2020. But the debates suggest differently. (The Politico article he references is also interesting.)
- Democrats Have an Issue with Diversity | Harvard Political Review. The irony in this is striking.
Here are some more which may make the Left uncomfortable (again, with one from the Left). These are on Harris’ supposed “victorious” attack on Biden and very connected to the previous section.
- Harris-Biden Busing Spat Shows Democrats Can’t Have an Honest Conversation About Racial Issues – Reason.com.
- Kamala Harris Wants to Bring Back Busing? Really? – Mother Jones.
- Kamala Harris: The Racial Strife Candidate | The American Conservative.
- Kamala Harris Doesn’t Understand Her Own Political History | The American Conservative.
These may make the “New Left” uncomfortable and would make me very happy (as a fervent supporter of the First Amendment for all) if I could only believe the second one. (Again, the irony is striking – it used to be that the Right attempted to limit speech and now it’s the Left.)
- The Supreme Court Protected a Vulgar Patent | National Review.
- College Campus Free Speech: More Work to Be Done, but Reason for Optimism | National Review.
- The Grammarphobia Blog: Were it not for the grammar. Subjunctive junctive, what’s your functive? For some reason, this post made me want to link to this great blog though they produce excellent posts all the time.
- The History Blog » Earliest evidence of inhaled psychoactive cannabis found in tomb.
- One-of-a-Kind Copy of Galileo’s Book That Upended the Heliocentric View of the Universe Was a Fraud. | Space. (The headline means to say that a particular physical book was an unusually contrived forgery.)
And now for a few tunes. The first is in honor of the first history article. (With one of the best openers of all-time.)