Welcome to the third annual linked collation of annuals or “year’s bests.” As the contents of the Afsharirad, BASFF, Clarke, Datlow, Guran, Horton, and Strahan science fiction, fantasy, and horror annuals are announced, they will be combined into one master list with links to the stories which are available online. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy some of them and that will help you decide which annual or annuals, if any, to purchase.
(There will often be information after the story’s place of publication. In the case of stories with multiple selections, the initials of the last names of the editors or editing team who selected it will be present. If a story has “Read,” “HM,” “Rec,” or “YB” after it, it indicates that I’ve read it and, if so, whether it got an honorable mention or a recommendation when I reviewed it, or was a recommendation which made my virtual Year’s Best Short Science Fiction and Fantasy #2 (2018 Stories). Stories in the last three categories are in bold font.)
This 2018 edition is in remembrance of Gardner Dozois.
Latest change (see Changelog/Credits below for details): 2019-03-02.
- “Okay, Glory”, Elizabeth Bear (Twelve Tomorrows) C/S
- “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth”, Daryl Gregory (Tor.com) C/S [YB]
- “When We Were Starless”, Simone Heller (Clarkesworld) C/S [read]
- “Meat and Salt and Sparks”, Rich Larson (Tor.com) C/S [read]
- “Mother Tongues”, S. Qiouyi Lu (Asimov’s) C/S [read]
- “Intervention”, Kelly Robson (Infinity’s End) C/S
The Year’s Best Military & Adventure SF: Volume 5, Afsharirad, ed.
- “A Song of Home, the Organ Grinds“, James Beamon (Lightspeed) [YB]
- “Love in the Time of Interstellar War“, Brendan DuBois (Baen.com)
- “Going Dark”, Richard Fox (Backblast Area Clear)
- “Homunculus“, Stephen Lawson (Baen.com)
- “Broken Wings”, William Ledbetter (F&SF) [HM]
- “Thirty-Three Percent Joe“, Suzanne Palmer (Clarkesworld) [read]
- “The Erkennen Job”, Chris Pourteau (Bridge Across the Stars)
- “Not Made for Us”, Christopher Ruocchio (Star Destroyers)
- “Once on the Blue Moon”, Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Infinity’s End)
- “Scrapyard Ship”, Felix R. Savage (Bridge Across the Stars)
- “Crash-Site”, Brian Trent (F&SF) [HM]
- “Hate in the Darkness”, Michael Z. Williamson (Star Destroyers)
The Best Science Fiction of the Year – Volume 4, Clarke, ed.
- “Domestic Violence“, Madeline Ashby (Slate) [HM]
- “Freezing Rain, a Chance of Falling”, L.X. Beckett (F&SF) [read]
- “Quantifying Trust”, John Chu (Mother of Invention)
- “Among the Water Buffaloes, a Tiger’s Steps”, Aliette de Bodard (Mechanical Animals)
- “Traces of Us“, Vanessa Fogg (GigaNotoSaurus)
- “The Anchorite Wakes“, R.S.A. Garcia (Clarkesworld) [read]
- “Umbernight“, Carolyn Ives Gilman (Clarkesworld) [YB]
- “Heavy Lifting“, A.T. Greenblatt (Uncanny)
- “Prophet of the Roads”, Naomi Kritzer (Infinity’s End)
- “Entropy War”, Yoon Ha Lee (2001: An Odyssey in Words)
- “Byzantine Empathy“, Ken Liu (Twelve Tomorrows)
- “Ten Landscapes of Nili Fossae”, Ian McDonald (2001: An Odyssey in Words)
- “Singles’ Day”, Samantha Murray (Interzone)
- “Theories of Flight“, Linda Nagata (Asimov’s) [read]
- “Lions and Gazelles“, Hannu Rajaniemi (Slate) [HM]
- “An Equation of State”, Robert Reed (F&SF) [read]
- “Different Seas”, Alastair Reynolds (Twelve Tomorrows)
- “Sour Milk Girls“, Erin Roberts (Clarkesworld) [YB]
- “Hard Mary”, Sofia Samatar (Lightspeed) [HM]
- “Requiem”, Vandana Singh (Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories)
- “The Buried Giant”, Lavie Tidhar (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “Lab B-15“, Nick Wolven (Analog) [read]
- “All the Time We’ve Left to Spend“, Alyssa Wong (Robots vs. Fairies)
The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Eleven, Datlow, ed.
- “The Donner Party”, Dale Bailey (F&SF) [read]
- “Girls Without Their Faces On”, Laird Barron (Ashes and Entropy)
- “I Remember Nothing”, Anne Billson (We Were Strangers)
- “Haunt”, Siobhan Carroll (The Devil and the Deep)
- “Red Rain“, Adam-Troy Castro (Nightmare) [read]
- “Painted Wolves”, Ray Cluley (In Dog We Trust)
- “A Brief Moment of Rage”, Bill Davidson (Endless Apocalypse)
- “Milkteeth“, Kristi DeMeester (Shimmer)
- “Golden Sun”, Kristi DeMeester, Richard Thomas, Damien Angelica Walters, and Michael Wehunt (Chiral Mad 4)
- “Thin Cold Hands”, Gemma Files (LampLight)
- “No Exit”, Orrin Grey (Lost Highways)
- “You Know How the Story Goes“, Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Tor.com) [read]
- “Back Along the Old Track”, Sam Hicks (The Fiends in the Furrows)
- “You Are Released”, Joe Hill (Flight or Fright)
- “Sleep”, Carly Holmes (Figurehead)
- “Haak”, John Langan (New Fears 2)
- “I Love You Mary-Grace”, Amelia Mangan (In Dog We Trust)
- “Monkeys on the Beach”, Ralph Robert Moore (Tales from The Shadow Booth: Vol. 2)
- “White Mare”, Thana Niveau (The Mammoth Book of Halloween Stories)
- “Thumbsucker”, Robert Shearman (New Fears 2)
- “A Tiny Mirror”, Eloise C. C. Shepherd (Supernatural Tales)
- “Shit Happens”, Michael Marshall Smith (The Devil and the Deep)
- “Masks”, Peter Sutton (The Alchemy Press Book of Horrors)
- “The Jaws of Ouroboros”, Steve Toase (The Fiends in the Furrows)
- “Split Chain Stitch”, Steve Toase (Mystery Weekly)
The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year: Volume Thirteen, Strahan, ed.
- “Dreadful Young Ladies”, Kelly Barnhill (Dreadful Young Ladies and Other Stories)
- The Only Harmless Great Thing, Brooke Bolander (Tor.com Publishing)
- “If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again”, Zen Cho (B&N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog)
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington”, P. Djeli Clark (Fireside)
- “Flint and Mirror”, John Crowley (The Book of Magic)
- “An Agent of Utopia”, Andy Duncan (An Agent of Utopia)
- “The Bookcase Expedition”, Jeffrey Ford (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies”, Alix E. Harrow (Apex) [YB]
- “You Pretend Like You Never Met Me, and I’ll Pretend Like I Never Met You”, Maria Dahvana Headley (Lightspeed) [HM]
- “The Woman Who Destroyed Us”, S. L. Huang (Twelve Tomorrows)
- “Golgotha “, Dave Hutchinson (2001: An Odyssey in Words)
- “The Storyteller’s Replacement”, N. K. Jemisin (How Long Till Black Future Month?)
- “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society”, T. Kingfisher (Uncanny) [read]
- “Field Biology of the Wee Fairies”, Naomi Kritzer (Apex) [read]
- “Firelight”, Ursula K. Le Guin (The Paris Review)
- “The Starship and the Temple Cat”, Yoon Ha Lee (Beneath Ceaseless Skies) [HM]
- “Quality Time”, Ken Liu (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “A Brief and Fearful Star”, Carmen Maria Machado (Slate) [read]
- “The Blue Fairy’s Manifesto”, Annalee Newitz (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “The Staff in the Stone”, Garth Nix (The Book of Magic)
- “Blessings”, Naomi Novik (Uncanny) [read]
- “Widdam”, Vandana Singh (F&SF) [read]
- “Yard Dog”, Tade Thompson (Fiyah)
- “Olivia’s Table”, Alyssa Wong (A Thousand Beginnings and Endings)
- 2018-12-16: First version of this year’s collation posted after Jonathan Strahan announced the contents of The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year: Volume 13 the day before.
- 2018-12-18: Removed the “Firelight” link which went to a teaser instead of the complete story. (Sorry about that.) Thanks to Roger Silverstein for pointing it out.
- 2018-12-29: Added “Mother Tongues” link. Thanks to Laura.
- 2019-02-11: Added Clarke’s The Best Science Fiction of the Year – Volume 4. Thanks to Laura.
- 2019-02-15: Added link to “Okay, Glory.” Thanks to the indefatigable Laura.
- 2019-02-20: Added Datlow’s The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Eleven.
- 2019-03-02: Added Afsharirad’s The Year’s Best Military & Adventure SF: Volume 5. Thanks to File770.