The purpose of this page is to concisely list webzines of a certain type to let people know what’s out there. See below for sources and criteria. See “List of Professional SF/F/H Magazines” for a categorized list of links to all pro zines including print and e-zines.
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies
- Clarkesworld Magazine
- Constellary Tales (no SFWA listing)
- Daily Science Fiction
- The Dark (no SFWA listing)
- Diabolical Plots
- Fireside Fiction
- Flash Fiction Online
- Galaxy’s Edge
- Nature (listed in Ralan’s flash category)
- Slate (no Ralan or SFWA listing but pays pro-rates)
- Strange Horizons
- Terraform (no Ralan listing)
- Tor.com (no Ralan listing)
Definitions and Explanation of Listing Criteria
This page defines a webzine as an active magazine listed by the SFWA and/or Ralan (or that I otherwise know about and choose to include) which is presented on a publicly readable website. (Some otherwise qualifying webzines are not listed due to judgment calls regarding the zines’ having obstructive sites or a scope even narrower than science fiction, fantasy, and/or horror due to generic, regional, or other limiting criteria.) These webzines are divided into “pro” and “other” groups. If a zine appears as an SFWA-qualifying market or in Ralan’s “Pro Markets,” then it’s a “Pro Zine” (and if I can’t find it listed by both, that’s noted). If it appears in Ralan’s “Semipro” or “Pay” Markets then it is an “Other Zine” (and is a “Pay” zine unless otherwise noted).
Within the above criteria, I try to list all webzines. If I’ve missed one, please contact me or leave a comment.
- 2016-12-22: Posted.
- 2018-04-08: After many unrecorded changes, I decided to create this changelog (which I may remove if it gets too long). Removed Mythic Delirium and The Sockdolager, which are “on indefinite hiatus” (defunct). Added note on practically defunct SQ Mag.
- 2018-06-18: Noted Shimmer‘s imminent closure. Returned to trying to maintain both this list’s “Pro Zine” section and the “List of Professional SF/F/H Magazines,” so moved The Dark from “Other Zines” to “Pro Zines” (it now pays SFWA-qualifying rates though it’s not yet fully qualifying) and added Daily SF, Fireside, Galaxy’s Edge, and Slate. Other minor tweaks.
- 2018-08-29: Removed Grievous Angel, which has been discontinued.
- 2018-11-03: Removed SQ Mag (which hadn’t had an issue since May 2017 but wasn’t officially declared dead until 2018-09-05) and the semiprozine Shimmer (whose last issue was November 2018).
- 2019-02-07: Added Constellary Tales; removed “semi-pro” note from HFQ (now listed as “pay”); removed Pedestal Magazine (now poetry only).
- 2019-02-11: Removed long-inactive Perihelion Science Fiction. Also removed GigaNotoSaurus from Other Zines where it had a listing as a “token” payment market for being in the special niche of long web fiction. It’s still active but the word count upper limits of magazines have been rising and several zines now publish the occasional novella. Still too few, but enough that making an exception to list GigaNotoSaurus seems less urgent now. Also streamlined the Definitions.
- 2019-04-22: Removed Apex Magazine (“indefinite hiatus”) from Pro Zines.
- 2019-07-20: Removed Compelling Science Fiction. The first 12 issues are still available on the web but, beginning with issue #13, it’s become an e-zine.