The purpose of this page is to concisely list webzines of a certain type to let people know what’s out there. See below for sources and criteria. See “List of Professional SF/F/H Magazines” for a categorized list of links to all pro zines including print and e-zines.
- Apex Magazine
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies
- Clarkesworld Magazine
- Compelling Science Fiction
- Daily Science Fiction
- The Dark (no SFWA listing)
- Diabolical Plots
- Fireside Fiction
- Flash Fiction Online
- Galaxy’s Edge
- Nature (listed in Ralan’s flash category)
- Slate (no Ralan or SFWA listing but pays pro-rates)
- Strange Horizons
- Terraform (no Ralan listing)
- Tor.com (no Ralan listing)
Definitions and Explanation of Listing Criteria
This page defines a webzine as an active magazine listed by the SFWA and/or Ralan (or that I otherwise know about and choose to include) which is presented on a publicly readable website. (Some otherwise qualifying webzines are not listed due to judgment calls regarding the zines’ having obstructive sites or a scope even narrower than science fiction, fantasy, and/or horror due to generic, regional, or other limiting criteria.) These webzines are divided into “pro” and “other” groups. If a zine appears as an SFWA-qualifying market or in Ralan’s “Pro Markets,” then it’s a “Pro Zine” (and if I can’t find it listed by both, that’s noted). If it appears in Ralan’s “Semipro,” “Pay,” or “Token” Markets then it is an “Other Zine” (and is a “Pay” zine unless otherwise noted).
Within the above criteria, I try to list all pro, semi-pro, and pay zines. (If you feel one is missing, contact me or leave a comment.) Token markets need a special literary reason to be listed (such as GigaNotoSaurus being an exception to the above “narrower scope” clause because it produces short fiction at underrepresented longer lengths).
- 2016-12-22: Posted.
- 2018-04-08: After many unrecorded changes, I decided to create this changelog (which I may remove if it gets too long). Removed Mythic Delirium and The Sockdolager, which are “on indefinite hiatus” (defunct). Added note on practically defunct SQ Mag.
- 2018-06-18: Noted Shimmer‘s imminent closure. Returned to trying to maintain both this list’s “Pro Zine” section and the “List of Professional SF/F/H Magazines,” so moved The Dark from “Other Zines” to “Pro Zines” (it now pays SFWA-qualifying rates though it’s not yet fully qualifying) and added Daily SF, Fireside, Galaxy’s Edge, and Slate. Other minor tweaks.
- 2018-08-29: Removed Grievous Angel, which has been discontinued.
- 2018-11-03: Removed SQ Mag (which hadn’t had an issue since May 2017 but wasn’t officially declared dead until 2018-09-05) and the semiprozine Shimmer (whose last issue was November 2018).