The SFWA maintains a list of “magazines and short fiction venues” which are “Qualifying Markets.” This page categorizes that list and serves as an index of Featured Futures‘ coverage. All covered magazines have links to their websites and to relevant posts on this site. Featured Futures also regularly covers some magazines which are not yet qualifying but which are established and pay professional rates. Those are listed with asterisks.
Coverage is of two types: fully reviewed magazines receive a review per issue (except in the case of BCS, which receives a monthly review of its biweekly issues) and generally all original fiction is covered; selectively reviewed magazines have only their notable stories discussed together in “Selected Stories” posts which appear up to twice a month. Magazines which are currently fully covered are listed in bold.
For now, the “General SF/F/H Magazines” are divided into two main categories based on release style and frequency. “Monthly” and “Weekly” are misnomers but “Monthly” magazines release several stories no more frequently than monthly. “Weekly” magazines generally release one or two stories no less frequently than monthly.
My categorization of the SFWA list is accurate to the best of my knowledge but I welcome corrections.
General SF/F/H Magazines
Monthly (or so)
- Analog Science Fiction and Fact (Posts)
- Asimov’s Science Fiction (Posts)
- The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (Posts)
- Orson Scott Card’s InterGalactic Medicine Show
- Apex (Posts)
- Clarkesworld Magazine (Posts)
- Compelling Science Fiction (Posts)
- The Dark* (Posts)
- Flash Fiction Online (Posts)
- Galaxy’s Edge Magazine (Posts)
- Lightspeed Magazine (Posts)
- Nightmare Magazine (Posts)
- Tor.com (Posts)
- Uncanny Magazine (Posts)
Weekly (or so)
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies (Posts)
- Daily Science Fiction
- Diabolical Plots (Posts)
- Fireside Fiction
- “Future Tense Fiction” from Slate* (Posts)
- “Futures” from Nature (Posts)
- Strange Horizons (Posts)
- “Terraform” from Motherboard (Posts)
- Grantville Gazette [shared-world alternate history]
- Future Affairs Administration [Chinese SF]
- Star Citizen Jump Point Magazine [shared-world gaming]
Children’s Magazines (Not Primarily SF/F/H)
- Cast of Wonders
- Escape Pod
- Arc Manor
- Grim Oak Press
- Marion Zimmer Bradley Literary Works Trust
- Zombies Need Brains
All Monthly/Print Zines have been fully covered since January 2018. All linked Monthly Webzines have been covered since January 2017 except The Dark (January 2019) and Galaxy’s Edge (January/February 2018). (While always covered, Lightspeed and Nightmare were covered as Weekly through April 2018 and have since been covered as Monthly.) All 2017 Monthly coverage was selective; all 2018 coverage was full.
All linked Weeklies have been covered since December 2017 except Slate, which was covered retroactively from January 2018 and actively from April 2018. All 2017 Weekly coverage was selective; all 2018 coverage was full and those reviews were called “Weekly Webzine Wrap-Ups,” before being renamed to “Weekly Reviews” in January 2019. They were then discontinued with Tor.com‘s introduction of a bi-monthly presentation of its weekly-ish content starting with the Jan/Feb 2019 issue in late January and my subsequent decision to cover BCS once a month.
Of Defunct magazines, Ares was covered for the single story they released in January 2018. Grievous Angel was covered retroactively from January 2017 and actively from November 2017 until its demise at the end of August 2018.
- 2017-12-01: Page created.
- 2018-04-19: After an unrecorded period, I added this ChangeLog. Previously the covered zines were split into Print-/E-/Web-zines and the latter were split into Monthly/Weekly. Now all are split into Monthly/Weekly and then into Print-/E-/Web-zines. Updated and clarified “weekly” zine coverage. Added Slate/Future Tense Fiction note. Corrected wrong header levels. Italicized magazine titles within lists.
- 2018-04-29: Moved Lightspeed and Nightmare from weekly to monthly.
- 2018-08-29: Moved Grievous Angel from Weekly/Webzines to Other/Misc (defunct).
- 2018-09-05: Moved Cicada from Other/Children’s Magazines to Other/Misc (defunct). Thanks to Black Gate for the info.
- 2019-01-06: Moved Ares from Monthly/Printzines to Non-Magazines/Defunct (and moved all other defunct zines there from Other/Misc). Removed “Writers of the Future Anthology” from Non-Magazines/Other because, whatever the merits of the case, the SFWA removed it from their list. Generally revised the page to reflect 2019 coverage and, hopefully, for clarity.
- 2019-01-17: Removed a mistakenly listed asterisked item.
- 2019-02-06: Removed Dark Discoveries from this page’s Non-Magazines/Defunct section now that the SFWA, after pointlessly listing the dead magazine briefly as though it were active, moved it to the delisted/non-qualifying section.
- 2019-02-06: Moved Tor.com from Weekly/Webzine to Monthly/Webzine and revised intro and historical notes to reflect the new situation with it and BCS.