- Tangent Photo Gallery #11. Tangent‘s Dave Truesdale went to LibertyCon and returned with pics.
- 2019 Cordwainer Smith Rediscovery Award | File 770; Black Gate » Carol Emshwiller wins the Cordwainer Smith Rediscovery Award. She was not an exclusionary, divisive author but a communicator who shared her perspective with all readers, which allowed this particular one to think, feel, and sense things he never would have without her. If you were only going to get one book then, so far, I’d recommend The Start of the End of It All. Two selections from the collection (“Pelt” and “The Circular Library of Stones,” along with several others) can be read online. Here’s a list: Free Speculative Fiction Online: Carol Emshwiller.
Apollo 11 at Space.com
- Apollo 11 Turns 50: A Complete Guide to the Historic Moon Mission | Space.
- 50 Years Later, Apollo 11 Moon Landing Reminds America What It’s Capable Of | Space.
- Apollo 11 Flight Log, July 20, 1969: The Moon Landing | Space.
- 50 Years After Apollo 11, A New Moon Rush Is Coming | Space.
- Mega Wind Farm Connected With Artificial Islands ‘Technically and Economically Feasible,’ European Energy Firm Says. This reads somewhat like ad copy and doesn’t address downsides or alternatives, but it’s interesting.
- Biggest Textbook Publisher Pushing Students To Ebooks Undermining Resale Market. Here’s a test. Have you been brainwashed into expecting to “rent, not own”? To believe any company when it talks about “lower prices” for the purcha–um, renter? Do you not believe “less reason to turn to the secondary market” means “the elimination of the secondary market”?
- The History Blog » Lewis Chessman sells for $929,000. Follow up on the earlier chess piece story with the results of the auction.
- Mad Magazine Is Dead – Reason.com. This isn’t funny at all, but it’s relevant to one of the institutions (in more than one way) of comedy.
They’re BACK! (Or half of them are, anyway. 2.5/4, maybe.) These are the first two singles from the upcoming album. Both songs are fantastic but, while I don’t usually pay much attention to the non-auditory stuff, the second (from July 17th) has a really striking, artsy video. Congrats to the amazing performers.