- Finding a Science-Fiction/Fantasy Magazine to Subscribe To.
- Just The Caffeine Talking: Appropriating the Past.
- Gregory Benford Wins 2019 Robert A. Heinlein Award | File 770.
- Writers, morality and the #MeToo fallout | Mad Genius Club.
(Most SF readers and writers hopefully find most science-related things interesting but this week’s “Science” links below contain several especially science-fictional links.)
- 1923-01-11 Jerome Bixby
- 1876-01-12 Jack London
- 1964-01-12 Rockne S. O’Bannon
- 1965-01-12 Rob Zombie
- 1893-01-13 Clark Ashton Smith
- 1931-01-14 Joseph Green
- 1935-01-15 Robert Silverberg
- 1948-01-16 John Carpenter
- 1706-01-17 Benjamin Franklin
- 1923-01-17 Alva Rogers
- 1927-01-17 Eartha Kitt
The data in this section is from the ISFDB. ISFDB entries usually have SFE and/or Wikipedia links for biographies. For free works of older authors online, try sites like FreeSFOnline, Archive.org, Gutenberg, or PoemHunter.com.
- Can artificial intelligence tell a polar bear from a can opener? This and especially the next might be particularly interesting to writers and readers of AI fiction.
- Backreaction: The Real Problems with Artificial Intelligence.
- A Wild ‘Interstellar Probe’ Mission Idea Is Gaining Momentum.
- Astronomers announce first exoplanets discovered by NASA’s TESS mission – Spaceflight Now.
- Spinning Black Holes Could Open Up Gentle Portals for Hypersonic Spacecraft. (That should say “hyperspatial,” of course.) Hey ho, let’s go!
- Astronomers clock a black hole spinning at half the speed of light | Astronomy.com. Gentle, I say!
Ratt – “Walkin’ the Dog” (Rufus Thomas, via Aerosmith)
Guns N’ Roses – Mama Kin (Aerosmith)
Testament – Nobody’s Fault (Aerosmith)