Welcome to the third annual linked collation of annuals or “year’s bests.” As the contents of the Afsharirad, BASFF, Clarke, Datlow, Guran, Horton, Shearman/Kelly, and Strahan science fiction, fantasy, and horror annuals are announced, they will be combined into one master list with links to the stories which are available online. Hopefully, you’ll enjoy some of them and that will help you decide which annual or annuals, if any, to purchase.
(There will often be information after the story’s place of publication. In the case of stories with multiple selections, the initials of the last names of the editors or editing team who selected it will be present. If a story has “Read,” “HM,” “Rec,” or “YB” after it, it indicates that I’ve read it and, if so, whether it got an honorable mention or a recommendation when I reviewed it, or was a recommendation which made my virtual Year’s Best Short Science Fiction and Fantasy #2 (2018 Stories). Stories in the last three categories are in bold font.)
This 2018 edition is in remembrance of Gardner Dozois.
Latest change (see Changelog/Credits below for details): 2018-12-29.
The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year: Volume Thirteen, Strahan, ed.
- “Dreadful Young Ladies”, Kelly Barnhill (Dreadful Young Ladies and Other Stories)
- “Okay, Glory”, Elizabeth Bear (Twelve Tomorrows)
- The Only Harmless Great Thing, Brooke Bolander (Tor.com Publishing)
- “If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again”, Zen Cho (B&N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog)
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington”, P. Djeli Clark (Fireside)
- “Flint and Mirror”, John Crowley (The Book of Magic)
- “An Agent of Utopia”, Andy Duncan (An Agent of Utopia)
- “The Bookcase Expedition”, Jeffrey Ford (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth”, Daryl Gregory (Tor.com) [YB]
- “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies”, Alix E. Harrow (Apex) [YB]
- “You Pretend Like You Never Met Me, and I’ll Pretend Like I Never Met You”, Maria Dahvana Headley (Lightspeed) [HM]
- “When We Were Starless”, Simone Heller (Clarkesworld) [read]
- “The Woman Who Destroyed Us”, S. L. Huang (Twelve Tomorrows)
- “Golgotha “, Dave Hutchinson (2001: An Odyssey in Words)
- “The Storyteller’s Replacement”, N. K. Jemisin (How Long Till Black Future Month?)
- “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society”, T. Kingfisher (Uncanny) [read]
- “Field Biology of the Wee Fairies”, Naomi Kritzer (Apex) [read]
- “Meat and Salt and Sparks”, Rich Larson (Tor.com) [read]
- “Firelight”, Ursula K. Le Guin (The Paris Review)
- “The Starship and the Temple Cat”, Yoon Ha Lee (Beneath Ceaseless Skies) [HM]
- “Quality Time”, Ken Liu (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “A Brief and Fearful Star”, Carmen Maria Machado (Slate) [read]
- “The Blue Fairy’s Manifesto”, Annalee Newitz (Robots vs. Fairies)
- “The Staff in the Stone”, Garth Nix (The Book of Magic)
- “Blessings”, Naomi Novik (Uncanny) [read]
- “Mother Tongues”, S. Qiouyi Lu (Asimov’s) [read]
- “Intervention”, Kelly Robson (Infinity’s End)
- “Widdam”, Vandana Singh (F&SF) [read]
- “Yard Dog”, Tade Thompson (Fiyah)
- “Olivia’s Table”, Alyssa Wong (A Thousand Beginnings and Endings)
- 2018-12-16: First version of this year’s collation posted after Jonathan Strahan announced the contents of The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year: Volume 13 the day before.
- 2018-12-18: Removed the “Firelight” link which went to a teaser instead of the complete story. (Sorry about that.) Thanks to Roger Silverstein for pointing it out.
- 2018-12-29: Added “Mother Tongues” link. Thanks to Laura.