- Free Speculative Fiction Online: New Additions.
- Flogging Babel: The Mainstream Murray Leinster.
- See Science #3 below for links about Greg Egan’s recent math contribution.
The data in this section is from the ISFDB. ISFDB entries usually have SFE and/or Wikipedia links for biographies. For free works of older authors online, try sites like FreeSFOnline, Archive.org, Gutenberg, or PoemHunter.com.
- 1890-12-05 Fritz Lang
- 1954-12-05 Betsy Wollheim
- 1915-12-07 Leigh Brackett
- 1861-12-08 Georges Méliès
- 1943-12-08 Jim Morrison
- 1900-12-09 Margaret Brundage
- 1830-12-10 Emily Dickinson
- Beyond TESS: Looking Toward CHEOPS.
- Slowing Star Formation: A Key to Astrobiology?
- Sci-Fi Writer Greg Egan and Anonymous Math Whiz Advance Permutation Problem | Quanta Magazine. Much appreciation to “Ansible® 377, December 2018” for pointing out this contribution from one of my very favorite SF writers. The article references Egan’s own article , which I’d somehow missed in my RSS feed. (Ansible is, as always, worth checking out in its own right.)
- xkcd: Alpha Centauri.
- Doonesbury by Garry Trudeau for May 19, 1991 – GoComics. In case that’s illegible, it’s a commencement speech which says, “Graduating seniors, parents and friends… / Let me begin by reassuring you that my remarks today will stand up to the most stringent requirements of the new appropriateness. / The intra-college sensitivity advisory committee has vetted the text of even trace amounts of subconscious racism, sexism, and classism. / Moreover, a faculty panel of deconstructionists have reconfigured the rhetorical components within a post-structuralist framework, so as to expunge any offensive elements of Western rationalism and linear logic. / Finally, all references flowing from a white, male, Eurocentric perspective have been eliminated, as have any other ruminations deemed denigrating to the political consensus of the moment. / Thank you and good luck.”
- Calvin and Hobbes: Let It Snow, Spaceman Spiff Upside Down, The Economics of Santa.
A super-sized birthday-week appreciation of Mr. Mojo Risin’ and friends…
“Light My Fire”
“L. A. Woman”
“The Crystal Ship”
“Riders on the Storm”