- Weekly Webzine Wrap-Up (2018-10-07). Updated with BCS stories on the 8th. Still intend to get out some belated September reviews and to update the Monthly Summation in the near future.
- There is simply no precedent for Hurricane Michael | Popular Science. Here we go again. My sympathies to Floridians and others between there and here. Soon, the Carolinas will get some of Michael to go with Florence. While devastating to the east and significant here, the effects of Florence here were not as bad as I’d expected. So I don’t know what’s coming; it’s likely we’ll lose power but hopefully only briefly. The one silver lining I can see is that, unlike Florence, this one should move through quickly.
- 1920-10-08 Frank Herbert (read online) [missed this one last week]
- 1924-10-10 Edward D. Wood, Jr.
- 1956-10-13 Chris Carter
- 1894-10-14 E. E. Cummings (read online)
- 0070-10-15 Virgil (read online)
- 1911-10-15 James H. Schmitz (read online)
- 1854-10-16 Oscar Wilde (read online)
- Cassini’s Death Dive into Saturn Reveals Weird Ring ‘Rain’ & Other Surprises. A discussion of several surprises.
- Surprising chemical complexity of Saturn’s rings changing planet’s upper atmosphere. Focuses on one of the above surprises.
- Latest insights into Saturn’s weird magnetic field only make things weirder. Focuses on another.
- 2015 TG387: A New Inner Oort Object & Its Implications. Follow-up on Science #2-3 from “Links (2018-10-03).”
- NASA Voyager 2 could be nearing interstellar space. Basic article; see next item.
- Voyager 2’s Path to Interstellar Space. Excellent Centauri Dreams piece on the above item.
- A Way-Too-Philosophical Behind-The-Scenes Post. From “Math Games That Make You Think | Blog on math blogs.”
- Confronting climate change in the age of denial.
- Carl Sagan: Cosmos, Pale Blue Dot & Famous Quotes.
- The History Blog » Enchanted garden of frescoes unearthed at Pompeii.
- The History Blog » Intact grave found in looted Mycenaean cemetery.
- Tornos News | Rich finds by excavation at Ancient Greek Sanctuary of Great Gods on Samothrace island.
Getting “international” this week. Charlemagne would be so confused.
German was made for metal so don’t let being from New York stop you.
Hanzel und Gretyl – “Fukken Uber Death Party”
Also from Third Millennium New York, the swinging 1960s French sounds of…
Les Sans Culottes – “Ecole de Merde”
“Ecole de Merde” rocks but I must post one that features the lovely and talented “Celine Dijon,” so here’s an extra: