- My area got a lot of rain, some fairly significant winds, and had constant watches and warnings and so on but, contrary to my expectations, the power only went out briefly. The worst was just the uncertainty and the length of time the storm lasted but I can’t complain. However, most of my state wasn’t so lucky and has been wrecked and some people (not just in NC) lost their lives. If you’d like to help, I came across this: How To Help Those Affected By Hurricane Florence : NPR.
- The Memory of Reading – Auxiliary Memory. (General fiction, actually.)
- 1947-09-19 Tanith Lee (read online)
- 1948-09-20 George R. R. Martin (read online)
- 1866-09-21 H. G. Wells (read online)
- 1964-09-21 Andy Duncan (read online)
- 1971-09-22 Elizabeth Bear (read online)
- 1908-09-23 Wilmar H. Shiras
- 1717-09-24 Horace Walpole (read online)
- 1897-09-25 William Faulkner
- 1919-09-25 Betty Ballantine
- North Carolina’s Natural Hurricane Defenses Are Disappearing – Scientific American.
- NASA data shows Florence brings torrential rains and record flooding to the Carolinas.
- Hurricane rating system fails to account for deadly rain!
- Famous theory of the living Earth upgraded to ‘Gaia 2.0’.
- Belugas adopt toothy whale lost in Canadian waters.
- Multi-joint, personalized soft exosuit breaks new ground — ScienceDaily.
- Volcanoes of mud erupt from dwarf planet Ceres | Astronomy.com.
- Proxima Centauri b: The Habitability Question.
- 1939 Texas Tech vs. Centenary football game – Wikipedia. (I had to look this up after reading “7 college football individual records that will (probably) never be broken | NCAA.com.”)
- The Argyle Sweater by Scott Hilburn for August 09, 2017 – GoComics. (Thanks to Barbara.)
Inspired by one of last week’s tunes, here are a couple of… unusual… items.
Slayer – “Criminally Insane”
Ramones – “Spider-Man”